Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Review: Girl In the Arena by Lise Haines

Book: Girl In The Arena
Author: Lise Haines
Published: October 13, 2009 by Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Hardcover: 336 pg
Cover: 4/5
Overall: 8/10

BOOK DESCRIPTION

Lyn is a neo-gladiator’s daughter, through and through.  Her mother has made a career out of marrying into the high-profile world of televised blood sport, and the rules of the Gladiator Sports Association are second nature to their family.  Always lend ineffable confidence to the gladiator.  Remind him constantly of his victories. And most importantly: Never leave the stadium when your father is dying. The rules help the family survive, but rules—and the GSA—can also turn against you. When a gifted young fighter kills Lyn’s seventh father, he also captures Lyn’s dowry bracelet, which means she must marry him...

Art Work Inspired by the book

First of all, I know I should have posted this review a long time ago. But you want to know the reason why I didn't well, because it took me a lot of time to come out with this picture you see on your right. Yes, it took me a lot of time to visualize Lyn into paper, if you have read the book, you know she's bald for most part of the series. So I wanted to portrait Lyn in that formal state, however I didn't wanted her to look like a guy, and all the sketches I kept doing, kept giving me that, a guy. Yet, I took my time, and left it behind, then came back, and this is the final project. Hope you guys like it.





 REVIEW:

Okay, let's explain why I gave the cover a 4/5 rating. Well, the cover is really pretty and beautiful, but Lyn was never dress in the book as a gladiator with her long hair. She was bald, as you can probably already understand by the picture that I drew above. So that's the only thing that made me give the cover a low rating. I mean, aren't covers to illustrate what's inside the book.

Now, the book was really entertaining, the whole Gladiator Sports Association really captured my attention, especially science it reminded me of one of my favorite movies of all time. GAMER, if you don't know what I'm talking about goggle it. Trust me, that movie is awesome.
Anyhow, the history behind the GSA is really well put together; from all the small details in the past, to the whole outtake in Lyn's world. Lise did a great job on remembering all those husbands, LOL. If you read the book, you know that Lyn has 7 dads, yes 7, and that's because her mom re-married with different gladiators in the process. Yet, as the 7th and final husband that Lyn's mom is allowed to have dies, things get all messed up, and her family just comes tumbling down. Hard.
The book as well was, really strong in some parts, do to some major OMG's that will leave you breathless.
However, the thing that made me give the book an 8/10 rating, was that Lyn didn't actually fought as I was expecting. I mean the book is call Girl In The Arena, and I was expecting to see (well read) a girl in the arena, but at the end is just went a little bit off, (you have to read it to know what I'm talking about) Either way, the book was amazing, and well written. So it is a book not to be missed, so if you haven't read it, go buy it, and enjoy the fighting and drama.

P.S. those anyone know if there will be a sequel, I really want to know if Lyn will fight for what she believes?

Trailer:
Here's a funny sort of promotion trailer, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...