Friday, July 22, 2011

Review: Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

Book: Hunger
Author: Jackie Morse Kessler
Series: Riders of the Apocalypse (book 1)
Published: October 18, 2010 by Graphia
Paperback: 180 pg
Cover: 5/5 Shine!!
Overall: 9/10

BOOK DESCRIPTION: 

“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.”

Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons?


IMAGE INSPIRE BY THE BOOK:                                                                                

If you have read this book, you know is really powerful, so when it came to draw Lisabeth, I hat to think a lot how I wanted her to look like. I mean, she's anorexic, so I wanted to portrait that in the drawing, without making her look like corpse.  Also I wanted her to look beautiful, so that way, I will add the irony, of why would she want to lose weight if she's fine thing going on.

In the background, I added the scales of Famine, to also add the whole Riders of the Apocalypse theme. I tried, really hard to make it look like the one in the cover, but I did my best. Hope you guys can see the resemblance when you read the book.

REVIEW:

Like I said, this book is powerful beyond words. I've never been to concern into disorders, but this book made me want to know more, to discover why people would put themselves through this things, Anorexia is a serious problem, and that was fully portrait though the book. Every page I turned, it was mesmerizing and sad, but don't me wrong, the book was funny too, especially with Death around. (One of my favorite characters.)

Now, I gave the book a 9/10 because, the book was short, not because of the story or the writing, that was awesome, I just wanted MORE, but even with the book being 180 pg long it still lives up to its story. I'm going to buy Rage really soon, so you can tell how much I loved it. Jackie Morse Kessler, is a wonderful lady, and her sharing her own struggle with the disease made me love her more, and I must add that you must have some cojones to do it and I respect you for that. I can't wait to read RAGE, so go on now, and buy the book. You won't regret it.

P.S. Never let yourself or anyone tell you, you're ugly or fat, everyone is beautiful from the inside out and the outside in. 

BOOK TRAILER:
Well, I couldn't find an official video for Hunger, or an interview with Jackie, so I decided to show you the video of Skyscraper by Demi Lovato, and somehow it relates to how one has to fight through everything to be free, and peace with oneself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...